Friday, April 30, 2010

Jewelry Display Organizer

There are times when I can be a small scale hoarder, and I'm hoping I'm not the only one.  One of my prized hoarding items is costume jewelry.  For so long I have kept all my precious jewels in a dirty old shoe box (labeled "precious jewels" to make me feel better about the disarray).  It probably doesn't even count as a box anymore.  All sides busted, more or less laying flat on the ground with a tangled up mess of beads and strings sitting on top.  I thought I'd make a fun and quick little art project to try and harness this mess:


And turn it into this!



Here are some more great ways to display jewelry in a frame:

Back it with a fun fabric.  This would be sweet for a little girl's room.


Use wire mesh in the frame to be able to hang more earrings.  I like the pretty ribbon, too.



Or hang items from vintage lace.



Screw in some great vintage knobs to hang your necklaces from.


Put together a collection of frames with fewer, more prized pieces to make a beautiful artwork statement.


Baby doll arms!?


Click on the read more button to learn how I did my version.



You will need an old frame, nails, hammer, a stick of balsa wood, glue gun, and a measuring tape if you like to be precise.


Hammer the nails evenly across the top of the frame.  I followed the beaded line to make sure all the nails were straight.



Cut the balsa wood to the size of the frame, and line it up towards the bottom of the frame.  I made it approximately 4.5" from the bottom.  Make sure it is level (eyeballing is fine).  Rev up that glue gun and generously slather on the glue.



The balsa wood is perfect because it is soft enough to stick your earrings directly into it.



Hang the frame on the wall and then place all necklaces, bracelets, etc. from the nails, and stick all of your earring in the balsa wood.  Make sure your frame is secure enough to the wall that it can carry the weight of all your items.

The end product is really pretty and practical.




1 comment:

  1. Love it! I should do this for my cooper-young booth this year!

    ReplyDelete