Sunday, April 18, 2010

Junk Schmunk

So here is another before / after I'm pretty pumped about.  It all started on my favorite thrift store block in Memphis.  I had been looking for a bench to put by my entry door where we could take off our shoes.  I saw a doozie sitting outside that looked perfect, but I was already loaded down that day and it would have to wait.

I played thrift store roulette and waited a few days before I went back.  I thought I had lost, because when I drove back by it was no longer outside.  Feeling a bit sullen, I parked and went in the store anyway.  I looked around and didn't see it inside either.  Accepting defeat, I started to walk out when....TA DA!  There was that bench!  Only now it was a broken bench in two pieces.  Still excited to see it, I asked how much and the fella looked at me like I was crazy, called out to his business partner, and in Spanish asked what probably went something like this,"This crazy woman wants to buy your broken down bench.  How much do you think we can get out of her for it?"  I got the bargain deal of $10!  I even got a pretty cool magazine rack for 5 bucks.  The owner asked as I was leaving if I wanted to buy any more of his junk....I'll show him.  Here is how the broken down bench started (after a coat of primer):


We even got lazy and left it outside for a couple of rain storms, but the bench prevailed, along with some icky friends that made me squeal like a little girl.  I think this one was the mama.

 

Patience, perseverance, and a lot of wood glue gave us this happy ending:





I absolutely love the way it turned out.  It works wonderfully functionally and its really fun having that little bit of happy red in the corner.  Let's see if that store owner thinks this bench is junk now!

2 comments:

  1. I like your "junk"! :) I really like the red you picked a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so glad I found your blog via miss sabbespot : ) Those mirrors you found are absolutely INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete