I really tried to do some serious internet research on the great paraffin vs. soy candle debate and found so much conflicting info on whether the chemicals in parrafin and the "soot" they create are really bad for you. Paraffin wax companys say "no" (surprise surprise), and soy wax companys say "yes" (well of course they would). With no unbiased info in sight I throw my hands in the air! Curses!
It came down to a few simple pros and cons as to why I personally think soy is a better option:
- Paraffin wax is a by product of petroleum that basically comes from from the bottom of a barrel of oil that is bleached and textured with a chemical call acrolein. Eww.
- Soy is a natural rapidly renewable resource.
- Purchasing soy products supports the soy farmers of America.
- Soy burns longer than paraffin (However, keep those wicks trimmed for a cleaner longer burn).
- Soy candle spills can be cleaned with soap and water vs. practically having to get a chain saw to get up paraffin wax.
In a perfect world we would have all our windows open all day with fresh lavender growing adjacent, and cookies baking in the oven to give our home a nice pleasant aroma. In the real world we light candles that make those smells. And now you don't have to buy a fancy pants $30 candle. Target has some great ones starting at $5! We've been enjoying this bad boy for I don't know how long, but the packaging claims to last for up to 25 hours.
And here are some action shots.
Relaxation in yo face!